Monday, January 3, 2011

labor of love



Next time I have the brilliant idea to take on a huge project right before Christmas, someone please ask me to think twice.

It actually started a couple months ago while sitting in church (or should I say walking the halls) with a certain wiggly toddler, realizing I needed something to help entertain him or else we just might end up inactive. I had a friend that had made a really cute quiet book for church, and had seen several different patterns roaming around the internet. I found one on etsy that I loved and decided to see if I could convince my best friend to make one with me. Well she agreed (apparently she's crazy too!) and we began this project together.

There were hours upon hours spent cutting out millions of paper pattern pieces, hours upon hours cutting out the felt that went along with those pieces, and that was just the preparation! Honestly, after that it was much more enjoyable because you could actually start seeing the finished pages come together. But that didn't mean that there weren't plenty of hours spent hand embroidering words or sewing on little buttons, clouds, and zippers.

Whew. Just thinking back on it makes me tired. It was a ton of work, but guess what, Beck loves it! And it keeps him quiet on our laps for more than 5 seconds at a time, so that's all the validation I need!

Yes, it was a ton of work. But in all honesty, I had fun making it and I'm a teensy bit sad it's all done. Hmm, I think I need another project. Any ideas?

10 comments:

ANGELA OR PAUL said...

so cute, i'd love to see the pages... everyone needs a quiet book:) I'm in the same boat as you, needs a project!! Now that the holidays are over, don't know what to do with myself LOL

Jessica Adams said...

And it's TOTALLY cute! Come sit by us lots so we can play with it too!! :)

mere said...

That is so cute!

Kim & Clay said...

Your book looks so cute! Thanks for bringing me on board.

I am making some good headway ... more than halfway done! But yes it is definitely overwhelming and fulfilling at the same time. But I guess everything worthwhile is, huh? Like motherhood in general. :)

Ashlee said...

And by darn, is it ever cute!

Carly said...

SO cute!!!!!!

CASEY & NICOLE said...

I love that I totally want to make one!!

The Turners said...

It turned out so good! Beck sure looks like he loves it!

jenichild said...

That's so cute. I joke with Kimmy that Ellie will be too old for it by the time it's done! It really is insane how much time goes into something like that. But it will be such a fun heirloom for all of your kids to use and to remember how much their mommy loves them.

Kate said...

Hey way to go girl! I'm so impressed that you finished this! I am inspired to finish mine now! :) Cute blog! Don't worry I stalked you from Kim's blog.