Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Importance of Motherhood

**Warning- This is a REALLY long post**

This has been on my mind for over a week and I was surprised at how much it affected me. My friend sent me this link to an article from ABC News about the growing population of couples that choose to remain childless.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/AmericanFamily/comments?type=story&id=3413039

The article alone was disturbing, but it wasn't until after I started reading the comments that people had made that I really started getting worked up. Every single comment was negative regarding motherhood and everyone was talking about how much of a "burden" children were and that they like their convienent, childless lives too much to have to "worry" about kids! Are you serious?? Do they not realize the effect their opinions would have on humanity if everyone adopted their beliefs?? I know this may sound dramatic, but really, What is this world coming to? I have never felt Satan's power over the earth more than as I read this article. He's not only tempting people to commit the awful crimes that we see all around us, but he is cutting straight to the core by destroying the one unit that is most important, the family! Even though I am not a mother yet, my heart still knows that I will be a mother and knows that there is no other role that is more vital, than the opportunity to bring a child into a loving home. I have included some quotes from some of the comments that I read that really disturbed me......

"...The world has plenty of humans, we're in no danger of going instinct, in fact we are probably overpopulating this planet and are definitely putting a huge pressure on the environment and other species, so NOT having kids is probably doing the world a favor!"

"...If I truly wanted children, the sacrifices, inconveniences, and unpleasant aspects of childrearing would pale in comparison to the benefits. My decision to remain child-free has very little to do with wanting to advance my career, keep my figure, and enjoy time to myself and with my s/o (although all these things are wonderful advantages!!). While I do have a myriad of economic, philosophical, and practical reasons for not wanting children, it ultimately comes down to the fact that I just don’t like children, and have no maternal feelings towards them."

"...The female host mentioned that she comes from a big family and having kids "is just what you do". That's an example how most of the population are sheep - just doing something because that's the way it has always been done, instead of thinking through important decisions and making an informed decision."

"...We don't hate children, just don't want the responsibility and financial burden."

"...We have other things that we would like to do that if we had kids, would really limit the experience."

"...I think something's wrong with THEM for wanting to carry a child, deliver a child, change diapers and have their sleep disrupted, and raise a child when there's always a chance that they may turn out to be the next crazy kid who goes on a shooting spree at school or do other devastating things! I don't have to worry about such things!! I do what I want, when I want, and get plenty of peace and quiet, and "ME" time!!"

Luckily, I have a wonderful friend who is a wonderful mother who posted the most beautiful comment in rebuttal to all of the negative ones. Thank you Jeni for being willing to stand up for motherhood and the amazing blessings that come from it! Here's her comment....

"As I read this article I immediately thought of one of my childhood heroes- Jackie Joyner-Kersee, an Olympic gold medalist in track and field. I thought, “Now that’s someone who really knows what it’s like to be a mother”. As an Olympic athlete, you give up your free time to train your body to reach its potential. You work day in and day out until you’re so tired you can’t move. You work through injuries and through fatigue, but you keep on working. You see your friends enjoying their lives and wonder if all this hard work will be worth it. But each day you look back and know that you’ve given it your all and in your tired state, you fall asleep smiling. The little victories start to come as you when small races. You find joy in each medal, and even in seeing other people win their first medals. The Olympics arrive and you know you’ll be standing with some of the greatest people who have ever lived. You give it your all and this time- it is enough. No joy can compare to looking back and seeing all that you have accomplished and all you have become. And even though you were happy along the way, no joy can compare to what you feel at this moment, knowing you’ve accomplished your dream.

And so is motherhood. You sacrifice your time, your body, your whole self to train a little baby on how to become an adult. Your work through fatigue, through hard days, through financial crisis, but you keep on going. Willing to do anything to give your sweet baby the chance to reach their potential. You see people around you traveling, enjoying their freetime, and you wonder if you made the right choice. But each night as you tuck your sweet little child into bed and hear the precious words, “I love you Mommy,” you know that none of your childless, traveling friends can be enjoying such pure, inexplicable happiness as you feel at this moment.The little joys come as your child learns to walk, to say their first words, and eventually to grow up and have children of their own. But as you spend your last few moments on earth surrounded by the people that you love, you know that although you were blessed with a lot of happy moments along the way, no joy can compare to the joy you feel at this moment. Knowing that you’ve given up your life to give life to another person.

As a mother you stand with the greatest people who ever lived. E. T. Sullivan once wrote these interesting words: “When God wants a great work done in the world or a great wrong righted, he goes about it in a very unusual way. He doesn’t stir up his earthquakes or send forth his thunderbolts. Instead, he has a helpless baby born, perhaps in a simple home and of some obscure mother. And then God puts the idea into the mother’s heart, and she puts it into the baby’s mind. And then God waits."The greatest joys can only come through the biggest sacrifices.

If you live your life selfishly, never taking risks and never giving your whole self to something, you will live a mediocre existence. You may seem happy enough, but you will miss out on the sweetest, most rewarding moments. The feelings of love that truly make life worth living."

Sorry this is so long, but it was something that I feel very strongly about and needed to share!

11 comments:

Linds Forrest said...

You should not apologize for the post being long. Everything you said, and your friend Jeni said, is exactly what this disgusting world SHOULD hear. Children are what bring joy to this world and our lives. Without children we could not grow as adults. I am so thrilled you wrote this post. I love seeing people being passionate about life and trying to make a difference in the world, because 1 person DOES make a difference; whether big or small. So thank you Karlee!!

Carly said...

All the way through this post, I kept thinking, "I wish the parents of these people had felt that way. Maybe then the world would have a few less negative people!" I'm so glad for what Jeni posted. Being only a few months away from being a mother, it honestly breaks my heart to think that people out there think that it's not worth it. Though I've done my share of complaining about pregnancy, I can't even imagine what my life would be like without the opportunity and blessing to be a mother. I'm so grateful for the chance!

Hafen Crew said...

I can't even imagine my life without my two little babies! It's so sad that people in this world are so SELFISH and NEGATIVE. Really being a mother is very selfLESS and you give up a whole lot, but you reap more benefits than you can ever imagine, so in the end, it's the greatest reward. It truly is sad to think that these people don't see the big picture. Their parents sacrificed to raise them to DO WHAT THEY WANT and to have all the "ME" time they wanted, did they stop to think they wouldn't be able to do such things if their parents had been so negative about families and children!

Ashlee said...

Thank you for posting. I too read this article and some of the comments, and it too shocked me. Kudos to your friend Jeni for so eloquently explaining the joys of motherhood. I read in some of the comments that people were sick of being told that they were selfish for not wanting children....if they're not selfish than what are they? They don't want the BURDENS and WORRIES that come along with children? They say that they have all of the love they need from the spouse/partner? I feel sorry for them because they will NEVER know what pure, unconditional love is.

Andrea Harper said...

What an awesome post! I truly believe that you are what you value, so these people can't say much for themselves. I won't place judgement on someone for not wanting children, it's their choice. However, the reasoning behind it makes a BIG difference. Just because you can't be burdened by diapers and messes is sad. They talk about children, human life, as though they were a smelly dog they would be obligated to feed. Yikes. I can't believe some of these people would have the audacity to admit this on paper. Not having children doesn't mean you're a horrible person, but treating motherhood as though it were for a "lesser kind" or beneath you is unacceptable. If you don't want children, at least give respect to those who do.

The Lichtie Family said...

Yay for mommy's! We rock! We totally need to get together for food...as you may remember from sharing a fridge with me, I like food. Let me know when you can!

The Runyons said...

You girls warm my heart! This is exactly why you were reserved for these last days! Your passion for motherhood will assure a righteous generation! Travis - you did dang good for yourself!! (Karlee you did great too of course!)
I love you all!
Lisa

Bob, Emily, Ellie, and Kate said...

It scares me to the core to think that there are people in this world that actually think like that. I can't think of a more selfish or self absorbed lifestyle than the ones that these people continue to live. One day they will realize that true joy comes from having a family, and serving others, and most importantly serving your family and children. Satan is so cunning to make people think this way. I loved Jeni's comment. In all my life I have found nothing more rewarding or fulfilling than being a mom. It may not be easy, but I have never been more happy. These people do not know what true happiness is. Excellent post Karlee!

BunchesofBradys said...

Karlee,
Thanks for that post. Wow! I can't stop my tears. I feel very strongly about motherhood and have thought many times (especially after having Eli, my newborn) "it sure would be fun to travel and to do things for myself." I'm glad you've taken time to address this issue because it has reminded me of the many blessings I receive each day for being a mother. Your friend Jeni said everything perfectly. She must be a great mother.
-Carrie

Natalie said...

Karlee, what a great post! I have so many strong emotions about this right now. Amen, to everything else stated!

Dellany Higby said...

I just want you to know how powerful this little post has gotten, I read about it on Annie's page I think, and you go girly! Not quite a mother yet either, it makes my insides hurt to even think people honestly think that way. My whole life right now is dedicated to preparing myself and my home for the children I will have one day, thank you for posting this! What an awful person I would be if I didn't want to have kids, really tho!!